Had too much sun? Try 10 natural solutions to refresh your skin
Exploring luscious mountains, diving under clear blue waves, sipping ice-cold lemonade by the pool—so many reasons to love summer! But brighter days require more skin protection from UV rays. And when we underestimate the sun—it happens to the best of us—we need powerful products to tackle increased exposure.
We’ve got you covered with 10 tips to help revamp your skin care routine and beat the heat. Manage sunburns, dark spots, and wrinkles with products that’ll keep you looking restored, refreshed, and radiant all summer!
YL tip: Use these products all year round for stunning results!
Rescue your skin from sunburns
Free vitamin D—yes, please! But how much sun is too much? A good way to know is when your skin feels hot and starts to turn pink. Sunburns can range from mildly uncomfortable and itchy to downright painful. If you’ve soaked up too many UV rays, try these tips to get you back outdoors.
1. Ease the pain. Feelin’ the burn in all the wrong ways? Meet LavaDerm™ Cooling Mist. If the sun’s got you beat, tag in this vegan-friendly mist. Check out its benefits:
Soothes and rejuvenates skin
Is easy to store in your purse or beach bag with a compact, convenient design
Moisturizes skin to help prevent peeling
YL tip: Store your LavaDerm mist in the fridge so it’s cool when you need it. Spending a day at the pool or in nature? Throw your bottle in the cooler to get a refreshing spritz.
2. Maximize the mileage of your aloe vera. Forgot your cooling mist? Add essential oils to aloe vera. Essential oils can provide moisture and soothe irritated skin, plus Peppermint and Eucalyptus Blue provide a cooling sensation. Start with 1-3 drops of any of the following essential oils to 1 tablespoon of aloe vera.
3. Treat your body. After soothing your sunburned skin, help your skin feel soft and smooth. Try these Young Living summer staples:
Seedlings® Baby Wipes: Cleanse your skin from insect repellent, sunscreen, and sweat after your outdoor adventures with our ultra-soft, soothing, moisturizing wipes.
Coconut-Lime Replenishing Body Butter: Boost moisture with heavy hydration that keeps skin soft and sleek.
Grapefruit Lip Balm: Seal in your lip’s natural moisture with a luxurious balm infused with Grapefruit essential oil, wolfberry seed oil, and antioxidants.
YL tip: Wait a day or two after a sunburn before applying deep moisturizing products like V-6™ or a carrier oil. These can trap in heat and cause more inflammation. Stick with your essential oil-infused aloe vera gel or LavaDerm.
4. Drink lots of water. Excessive time in the sun dehydrates your body, as sunburn draws fluid to the skin’s surface. Boost your hydration while healing your sunburn with these refreshing recipes.
Increase moisturizing products
Sunburns and sun damage can leave your skin looking uneven and dull and can make wrinkles and fine lines more prominent. Forget that! Try these tips to get your radiance back:
5. Moisturize and brighten your skin. Simply add ART® Intensive Moisturizer to your summer skin care routine so your glow is your own. Check out the benefits:
Recaptures the qualities of younger-looking skin
Provides ultra-hydration—a bonus when your skin is dry from the sun, sea, or pool
Nourishes the skin with ingredients such as pracaxi seed oil and blue bird hibiscus leaf extract to even skin tone and promote hydration
6. Hydrate your face. Masks are notorious for providing moisture. Pamper yourself with a luxurious ART® Beauty Masque. Dive into these perks:
Delivers powerful hydration via a ‘gram-worthy sheet mask
Leaves skin feeling softer and brighter
Diminishes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
Contains hyaluronic acid to keep skin feeling nourished and healthy
Made with exotic orchid petals and essential oils that help reduce the appearance of fine lines
7. Renew skin with proven ingredients. Amp up your skin care regimen with ART® Renewal Serum. It nourishes and hydrates skin, helps maintain a youthful glow, and is made with orchid extract and Ylang Ylang, Geranium, and Jasmine essential oils. We’ll take two, please.
Protect yourself before it’s too late
According to the Mayo Clinic, “Intense, repeated sun exposure that results in sunburn increases your risk of other skin damage and certain diseases.” Take preventative measures to avoid the aftermath so you can glow all summer long!
Applies easily and absorbs well
Contains a broad spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays
Resistant to water and sweat for up to 80 minutes
Recommended by the Skin Care Foundation for daily use
9. Apply sunscreen all over. Remember to apply it to oft forgotten spots like your scalp and ears. Use about 1 ounce of sunscreen for your entire body. The Mayo Clinic recommends reapplying sunscreen every 40-80 minutes and more often while swimming or sweating.
10. Cover up, especially when the sun’s out. Did you know there are clothes designed for sun protection? Check the label for its ultraviolet protection factor (UPF)—higher numbers offer higher protection. You can also sport summer in style with a wide-brimmed hat that guards your face, eyes, ears, and neck.